What Does It Mean To Have Peace?




I'm pretty sure of a few things in life.
Coffee makes me happy.  
White IS a color.
And how I feel is actually a CHOICE...

So... 
What about coffee that is so comforting to me?  

(Taken at my beloved Main Street Coffee House in Nappanee, IN)
It makes my heart smile.  It brings me closer to a friend.  It distracts me from pain.  But to be honest, it DOES NOT provide any peace. 

White IS a color... my favorite, actually.  But when you live in a house with well water, it's hard to keep any of your whites WHITE.  You know what I mean?  (If you have any tips on how to do that, PLEASE help a sister out!!!!)

And yes.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but I truly believe that you and I can, indeed, control how we feel.  Feelings are a product of our choices.  Of what we choose to fill our minds and schedules with.  It's how we respond to natural consequences of what's in front of us.  


Can I be completely frank here?  I've had some really awesome times in God's Word lately.  Like.  Really!  And I've had some really awesome conversations with friends, my husband, and even with my children.  The irony of it all is that I haven't STOPPED to record any of it!  Not on my journal.  Not on any FB status.  Not on here.  NADA.  

And you know what?

I'm choosing to be OKAY with that.  Do you ever have those seasons in your life where life is happening so fast and you don't want to miss it?  Or, do you ever feel like you're so DISTRACTED and the thought of stopping for the important things brings you guilt?  And what about those moments you KNOW you need to stop, PAY ATTENTION, and really soak in the seconds... but your mind is completely off somewhere else?


What has been filling your mind and your schedule lately?  What's taking the biggest chunk of your "free" time?  Where are you using your energy?  What's consuming your thoughts and even causing the occasional loss of sleep and rest?  

Here's my current list of mindlessness.  
My phone.
Browsing Amazon.
Podcast searches.
Book searches.
Instagram.
YouTube

Let me tell you how the Bible has challenged me this last week.  It teaches and challenges me to think  about and practice a few things.  Go with me to Philippians 4:8-9, which says, "Finally, [sisters], whatever is TRUE, whatever is HONORABLE, whatever is JUST, whatever is PURE, whatever is LOVELY, whatever is COMMENDABLE, if there is any EXCELLENCE, if there is anything WORTHY OF PRAISE, think about these things.  What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me - practice these things, and the God of PEACE will be with you."

I should've called this post "A complete guide on how to have peace".  Because that's what these 2 verses just did for me and you!  Right from the pages of Scripture!  If we want God's peace to be with us, let us think about things that are true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, of excellence and worthy of praise!  And if I measure all of those things are are consuming my mind, my schedule and my time against this compass, could I deny that there is a direct correlation between my lack of peace and the mindless choices I make?  

It's not easy, I know.  I get it.  And definitely NOT easy when you carry responsibilities at work, at church, in your marriage and with your young children.  I might be talking to myself here... So, I'm gonna let the previous 4 verses speak to me, AGAIN, as a prayer...

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.  The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the PEACE of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

Amen!

Let that be your prayer.

And regardless of what's on your list of mindlessness, be encouraged that we're all a work in progress.  He's not done with us, yet.  "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you, will bring it to completion af the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6 And Romans 5:1 says, "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have PEACE with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." 






Leave a Comment

Post a Comment