"For Whatever Overcomes A Person, To That She Is Enslaved"





I have a confession to make.  I may not look like one, but I'm a complete rebel.  I am!

I grew up with an older sister, two younger brothers, and parents who were always very involved at church.  My dad was a pastor.  Not just "a" pastor.  He was "the" reverend that everyone knew in our denomination's district.  My mom was a women's ministry leader and Sunday school leader.  And to be honest, my childhood cannot be described as turbulent or broken.  

I'm older now.  And with age comes great responsibility... right?  Or maybe wisdom is calling me out! 
Things that once didn't phase me, now overwhelm me.  Feelings that once didn't bother me, now control me.  And those feelings that once were completely non-existent to me, now have a way of mastering my mood, my mindset, and my overall attitude.  

Have you ever tried to read the same Bible verse in several different versions?  There was a verse this week that really caught my attention.  

2 Peter 2:19b.  

"For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved." (ESV)
"For you are a slave to whatever controls you." (NLT)
"For people are slaves to whatever has mastered them." (NIV)
"Because people are slaves of whatever controls them." (CEV)

I tell you what... No matter what version of the Bible I read, I felt convicted, fearful, and admittedly stuck.  Yes, stuck.  If my anger, selfishness, and pride can be be summarized and enveloped by a big, HUGE label, I thought it would say "sin"... but in reality, I've heard God saying... "no, Helen, it's called rebellion."  Surely, God sees any and all rebellion as flat-out sin.  And He hates it. 

Do I let anger master me?
Do I let selfishness control me?
Do I let pride overcome me?
Do I crave coffee or sugar MORE THAN God?

Yes.  And therefore, I'm letting myself be enslaved by them.  I'm letting these 'rebellions' control me.  Right?  

What is YOUR REBELLION?  What distracts you? 
Indifference toward His voice?
Unkindness?
Compromising Truth with popular opinion?
Lack of discipline?
Lack of self-control?
Short temper outbursts?

I get you.  I do!  I'm there, too!

But FRIENDS, let's TAKE HEART!  
"If we confess our sins (rebellions), he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (rebellions) and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9  And let 1 John 2:5 also speak... "but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected." His love for me is PERFECTED when I choose to keep His word!  That's GOOD NEWS, friends!  

So, next time I find myself letting those "rebellions" control my actions, I pray that God reminds me that I am His child.  That I am loved.  That He has set me free.  And that I am FORGIVEN.  


Leave a Comment

Post a Comment