I'm Addicted to Books




I have a problem.
And I'm willing to admit my weakness.

BOOKS!

So, instead of hiding my deep affection for them, I am turning this space into my healthy outlet.  
I'll be dumping... I mean, sharing, with you all the books I'm reading, listening to, and experiencing, AS I READ THEM.

In the past, I've done monthly reviews, or even a recap of the year.  But I realized that I'm missing out on sharing those small moments I've had with each book, even if I didn't truly and thoroughly enjoyed the entire thing!  Y'know?  

So consider yourself warned!  

In that vein, let me share the 2 I read since July 1st.  If you're curious to see what I read since January 1st, hop over to my Instagram account (@helengentz) and follow my 2018 book hashtag (#helenreads2018).  


I'm 40.  And with that number comes a series of questions, liberties, and milestones.  I am fully aware of the benefits of aging.  But I am also painfully aware that this season brings transitions I didn't see myself facing "this early".  One of the most sobering statements in that book was that there is only one more generation waiting to die.  The one of our parents.  And all of the sudden, life is put into perspective.  Don't get me wrong, turning 40 was liberating for me.  I felt free.  Wise.  And even a bit more confident.  No need to explain.  To compare.  And now that parenting is coming a bit easier (ooookay... who am I kidding?  It's still SUPER hard!), I am consciously minding less, comparing less, and listening more.  

I'm recommending this to anyone who's in their 40s.  Period.  

Warning:  there IS a chapter that is risky.  And I was uncomfortable reading.  Let's just say it has to do with a 3--some.  Not my cup of tea.  Never will be.  No matter what age I am.  Okay.  Warning done.  

Then I read my very first graphic novel.
I couldn't put this down.  I read it in 2 sittings and only because I was interrupted half-way through.  What a striking portrait of the realities that displacement can have on an immigrant family.  It's an illustrated memoir by Thi Bui, who was a young girl when her family immigrated to America after the fall of South Vietnam in the 70s.  She begins and ends this book by reflecting on how her family and her past history may be affecting her recent transition to motherhood.  I, ironically, found myself in her shoes.  And it made me reflect in my own journey as someone who immigrated to this country and is strongly influenced by her upbringing.  

Recommending this to those who enjoy reading a good human story, historical memoirs, and (like me) who might not have experienced a graphic novel before.  The illustrations show so much emotion... it added to my experience.  

What are YOU reading now?  

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment