7 Favorite Books I Read in 2017... And A Few Honorable Mentions.





I made a goal at the beginning of 2017 to return to reading.  But not just reading, I made a goal to fall in love with books AGAIN.

Since finishing graduate school in 2007, I gave my brain permission to rest and reset.  But what I didn't realize is that by not picking up a good book consistently through the years, I was decreasing my ability to critically think about important issues, be expose to rich stories, experiences, and different cultures.  I was starting to inundate myself with noise... voices on the screen, social media, podcasts, and neglecting my forgotten passion for the written word.  The touch of crisp or crinkled pages.  The very act of holding a book.  A collection of stories.  A door and window to someone's world.  

So, this past year was good, as I awakened my love for books.  

And I read some INCREDIBLE books!

But when it came down to choosing my top picks for the year, I not only had a hard time, but I also found myself wanting to talk about each and every one... because in each of the books I read this year, I heard myself saying "thank you" to the author, for speaking their art through those pages.  I have deep appreciation for them.  

Also, by picking up a multitude of books, I gave myself permission to stop and move on from an unfinished read.  That's right, friends.  If the book didn't capture my attention within the first 1/3 of the book, I "freed" it.  I let it go.  Because there are too many good books out there waiting for us!  Am I right?  

Ok, so here are the top 7 books I read in 2017.  (Plus 3 honorable mentions...)

Top 3 Fiction Books:
This was a beautiful story of a young blind girl on the streets of France and and a young orphan boy in Germany during WWII.  There's so much to this book!  It's not a book about the war, or the historical facts of the German occupation in France.  But it is a beautifully written story about longing, family, country, neighbors, the gift of life and hope.  After over 500 pages, I wanted to hug this book!  It has a soft spot on my list.  This is one of those books I couldn't wait to get to in the evenings.  The MOST BEAUTIFUL book I read in 2017.  Hands down.  

A YA book that was inspiring and uplifting.  It redefined how we see "opportunities" in our context today,  and challenged me to look at my own story.  Jade is a young black girl who is given the chance to attend a private school and receive scholarships and a spot at a mentoring program.  I enjoyed getting to know her and her desire and passion to create, to make a difference, and to be seen for what she is able to offer the world, not for what she looks like on the outside.  This is an inspiring book for anyone working with young people... and for those who want to SEE others for their talents and gifts.  Period.

Oh... where do I even start with this one?  This book blew my mind!  I experienced this one on Audio, and I'm so glad I did it that way!  The audio version allowed me to hear a voice I wasn't prepared to create in my own head.  I needed to hear it and experience it the way it was intended to speak.  The language is strong.  And the language is honest.  Not an "issues" book.  It's a human story.  It's the reality I only get to experience vicariously through past clients, old neighbors, and lost friends.  It was described as the "black lives matter" book of the year, since it tells the story of a 16-year-old girl who lives in a poor neighborhood but attends a rich prep school, and who witnesses the death of her unarmed childhood friend by a police officer.  The book doesn't get political.  It doesn't show an agenda.  But it does portray the lives of these characters on a human level.  They are able to feel pain, anger, love, fear, responsibility, and even forgiveness.  I loved this one, unapologetically.


Top 3 Non-Fiction Books:
I probably don't need to say much about this one since I posted about it here.  But I kept coming back to this one every time I found other personal memoirs that kept falling short of the hype.  This one was not on my radar.  I didn't even know who Tricia was.  And yet, it became a shelf-worthy book in my collection.  Relatable, funny, emotionally captivating, story-driven, and one I will go back to this year.

The BEST memoir of the year for me.  This book was published in 2016, but I didn't read it till this past year.  I was hesitant to give this "end of life" book a try.  It tells of a brilliant brain surgeon who took the time to tell his story and leave this book as a legacy to his family, child, and to us, his readers.  The dense story of how Paul turned from physician to patient.  The questions he posed about life and meaning.  Priceless and beautiful.  I cried.  I cringed.  I smiled and ended on a hopeful note.  Pick this one up!

Yes, yes, yes!  Nourished was about finding true contentment and nourishment through hearing God's voice and following His lead.  Walking in faith and experiencing His story for us.  It was about self-discovery, pursuing your passions, divine interventions and relationships, experiencing food with all your different senses, and being in awe of His story for us.  It it this book that made me realize that "food memoirs" might be my favorite genre.  The last food memoir I read was Bread and Wine by Shauna Niequiest, and I didn't think I'd enjoy another one of these... but I truly did!  And can't wait to find some other ones in 2018.  Any suggestions?

An Unexpected Book:
Okay... I'm not one to read science thrillers.  Heck, I'm not one to read thrillers, period.  But this one got me.  It's a weird one that anyone would enjoy... men and women.  Young and old.  You don't need to know about metaphysics, or quantum physics.  You don't need to understand how multiple dimensions would even exist.  But this book kept coming back to my mind because of its premise.  The consequences of my choices.  The roads not taken.  The importance of living life to the fullest because... we're given one chance to live this life.  This life.  I'm recommending this book to those who aren't usually avid readers.  Because this book will make you one.  I have a copy if you want to borrow it.  

And 3 Honorable Fiction Mentions.
I could've added a dozen books on here.  But decided to list these 3 for very distinct reasons...
I also "read" this one on Audio.  I'm glad I went into this one not knowing anything about it.  Really.  I won't give away too much of the plot.  Go into it bindly.  It's not an ordinary dysfunctional family story.  I like those kinds of stories.  (Celeste Ng has two brilliant ones... Everything I Never Told You and her latest Little Fires Everywhere).  But this was a story that I needed to experience.  This one captivated me slowly...  but it compelled me to think about issues and dynamics and secrets and the power of choices.  This one stayed with me for a while...  

2.  Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
It is totally understandable WHY this book won the 2017 National Book Award.  It is SO well deserving!  So well written!  It is described as a gothic southern story.  And with strong themes of race, poverty, grief, fear and hope, this one was a hard read, but well worth it.  I thought about stopping and moving on from this book a few times.  And I confess I still would've stopped, had I not listened to a few podcasts that spoke so highly of this book.  I'm glad I struggled through it.  One of the best!  

What an amazing story!  Inspiring!  Touching!  The perfect coming-of-age story for anyone wanting to engage with someone who's different than yourself.  It is funny.  Human.  Whimsical.  I read this one at the strong recommendation of my 14 year-old niece, and after reading it, we went to see the movie.  So happy I got to experience it with her.  One of those books/movies you just have to discuss with another human being.  And if they're under the age of 15, even better! 

And these 2 non-fiction books are worthy of a quick mention, too....
Hillbilly Elegy by J.D Vance
Evicted by Matthew Desmond

And now it's YOUR turn!!!!!
What were the favorite books you read in 2017?  
Anything I should add to my TBR in 2018?
Let me know!  

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment